The American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB), a not-for-profit, member-based professional society of plant scientists located in Rockville, Maryland, is seeking well-qualified applicants to fill its part-time (30hrs. per week) Education Coordinator position. The Education Coordinator is responsible for implementing the Society’s education and outreach activities, as well as for administrative support and coordination of correspondence, communication activities, and development of education-related projects. The Coordinator is also responsible for effective communication with members and educators in response to questions and requests for information. The Coordinator provides administrative support for the ASPB Education Committee and the coordinators of the Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship. She/he reports to the Director of Legislative and Public Affairs.
Applicants should minimally have a bachelor’s degree and experience working in the fields of education and/or science-focused public engagement. Individuals possessing an equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered. In addition, applicants should possess strong writing skills, for both technical and lay audiences; strong organizational skills, including attention to detail; and experience in volunteer committee management.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides support for the Education Committee and related activities. Attends meetings and events as practicable.
- Coordinates logistics and provides administrative support for public affairs activities as requested.
- Manages projects: primary responsibility for coordinating education outreach exhibits (including at annual meetings of, e.g., NSTA, NABT, AAAS), and SURF program.
- Attends local education-related policy and networking meetings as needed to represent ASPB initiatives. Reports findings to supervisor(s) and relevant committee members.
- Works with other ASPB staff as requested in various team efforts to, e.g., prepare newsletter articles, blog posts, reports, press releases, promotional materials, and other documents as needed. Prepares materials for print and/or web publication and dissemination that accord with technical parameters and ASPB specifications and guidelines.
- Liaises with IT staff and relevant groups/committees to review web site content and functions to contribute to maintaining efficient, user-friendly education and outreach pages for a general audience.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Phone calls will not be accepted.)