MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 82 million customers annually, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe commute, great service to its customers and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Engineering and design oversight of new rolling stock equipment procurement and overhaul programs.
- Performs the engineering and design oversight for rolling stock equipment programs. This includes attending design reviews, technical working sessions, qualification testing, and First Article Inspections. Participates in technical specification development, proposal evaluation, and award recommendations.
- Technical evaluation of contractor/consultant design submittals, including but not limited to, mechanical drawings and reports.
- Inspection of Rail Equipment manufacturing process at Contractor’s site or facilities.
- Qualification Testing and First Article Inspection of various mechanical & electrical systems for rolling stock.
- Preparation of technical specifications for new equipment, and the overhaul of existing equipment utilizing the latest methods, procedures, and technology.
- Interface with Maintenance of Equipment departments, Capital Planning departments, and other departments or railroads as necessary.
- Provides technical support and direction to the operation of test trains for equipment acceptance after delivery.
- Assist senior staff on rolling stock projects.
- Competent understanding of engineering principles and their application.
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with state, federal, and industry codes as they relate to rolling stock.
- Ability to interact with City, State, and Federal agencies.
- Ability to present technical material to a group of public officials or community groups in laymen’s terms.
- Familiarity with transportation operations.
- Working Knowledge of MS Office Suite (i.e. Word and Excel) or comparable PC applications.
- Strong written and verbal skills.
- Personal abilities of motivation, self-starter and persistence while motivating others.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster teamwork.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
- Must be willing to travel.
- Must be available 24 hours/7 days a week as required.
- Familiarity with Metro-North Railroad’s rolling stock equipment, operations, safety systems, and corporate policies.
- Strong knowledge of Mechanical Engineering principles including structural, HVAC, and fluid principles.
- Thorough knowledge of locomotive and railcar systems and theory of operations.
- Familiarity with mechanical testing equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in passenger railcar/locomotive design and/or maintenance environment (or a Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution with three (3) years of same).
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience managing staff, programs, and/or processes, or completion of Metro-North Railroad Associate Engineer Program.
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicological testing.
To be selected for a position, an applicant must: (1) meet the minimum requirements in the job posting, (2) pass a written examination (if applicable), (3) satisfy a background investigation (which includes credit, if applicable), and (4) pass an oral interview, during which the interviewers will further evaluate the applicant's qualifications for the position. Because the selection process is competitive, not all qualified applicants are granted an interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing.
For applicants who are current employees, you must be in active service and have worked in your present position for at least one (1) year to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, plus on-the-job training, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.) in order to be eligible to transfer. If you are transferred, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present occupation. In addition, Metro-North employees are subjected to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation of their safety and discipline records and their performance assessments.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $91,821.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
For Full Job Descriptions and To Apply Online, Please Visit:
http://web.mta.info/mta/employment/ Click on Metro-North Railroad, Select “Agree,” then Search by Job Title “Equipment Engineer-Mechanical Engineering”.
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is an Equal Opportunity Employer