The Director of the Department of Environmental Affairs is tasked with the delivery of critical public services to residents including garbage and recycling collection, management of Parish owned landfill with gas collection system, a mosquito control program, and a rodent control program. The Department manages the Parish’s MS4 permit; manages the pretreatment program; assists other departments with permitting and compliance with local, state and federal environmental regulations; oversees household hazardous waste collection programs, municipal waste diversion and litter abatement; enforces local environmental codes for the storage and collection of solid waste, mosquito breeding and illegal dumping; and maintains the Keep Louisiana/Keep America Beautiful programs. The Director oversees approximately 25 employees and an annual operating budget of approximately $43 million.
The Director’s duties and responsibilities include management and operation of landfill with gas collection system, and includes, but is not limited to: providing policy development and management guidance in the area of environmental services, solid waste management, and mosquito control; evaluating department operations and report to the parish president and parish council on departmental performance on a regular basis and counsel with the parish president and parish council on policy decisions affecting the department; directing administrative and field staff; preparing reports on departmental operations evaluating performance against established objectives, and special reports on operating problems or plans as required; and coordinating budget formulation activities in the department.
Preferred Requirements: a bachelor’s degree in engineering and registered in the state of Louisiana; or environmental science; or public health; or related field; and should have a minimum of seven (7) years of experience in landfill operations and maintenance.
The successful candidate shall possess and maintain a valid Louisiana Driver’s License or have the ability to secure one within ten (10) working days of hire. This position will be required to report to duty during emergency situations. The position is considered unclassified, limited-tenure, at-will employment. The individual selected for this position will be subject to a background check and will be required to submit a financial disclosure statement annually.
About Jefferson Parish Government
Jefferson Parish, Louisiana was established in 1825 and was named in honor of Thomas Jefferson, commemorating his role in purchasing the Louisiana territory from France in 1803. The Parish originally extended from present day Felicity Street in New Orleans, Louisiana, to the St. Charles Parish line. As Orleans Parish grew, it annexed from Jefferson Parish such established areas as the Garden District, Lafayette, Jefferson, and Carrollton. The present boundary was set in 1874, and in 1884 the seat of Parish government was transferred to the West Bank, Gretna, where it has remained.
Once a largely rural area of farms, dairies and vast tracts of undeveloped land, Jefferson Parish today is New Orleans' first suburb - a bedroom community west of the city that received the first great migration of middle-class families from the 1950's to the 1970's.
The parish's largest community is Metairie, an unincorporated area that comprises almost all of East Jefferson. Smaller unincorporated areas include River Ridge and Jefferson. Jefferson Parish is divided by the Mississippi River into the West Bank and East Bank areas. East Jefferson cities include Kenner and Harahan, while Gretna, Westwego, and Lafitte are in West Jefferson.