ABOUT THIS OPPORTUNITY: Reporting to executive management, this position directs power marketing and forward trading strategy development and manages associated marketing, trading and resource optimization activities. Manages a team of analysts, power marketers, and traders to structure, price and market a variety of energy products, and to optimize the District’s asset portfolio through risk and operations modeling. Develops strategies and plans aligned with the District’s short and long-term strategic goals and financial policies.
JOB FUNCTIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function of the job satisfactorily. Essential functions (EF) are those activities that, if not performed, would significantly and fundamentally alter the position.
# EF % of Time Job Functions 1. EF 25% Directs and oversees forward trading strategy development and optimization and structuring of assets. Coordinates with internal financial and energy trading staff to gather and analyze data and develop and implement appropriate forward trading strategies. Ensures appropriate consideration of environmental attributes, energy services, and alignment with District strategic goals. Ensures compliance with power and risk policies, recommending and leading changes, as needed. Presents concepts and recommendations to Senior Management, and the Board of Commissioners.
2. EF 20% Leads and directs analysis and deal structuring for any combination of energy products such as slice products, block sales, ancillary products, and environmental attributes. Analysis may involve alternative energy resources and/or transmission products and services. Monitors external market developments and reports to Senior Management.
3. EF 20% Directs and manages the development and maintenance of marketing relationships and staff who conduct sales calls and visits, solicit input and product desires from prospective counterparties, and who work with legal and finance to optimize the number and value of potential counterparties. Develops strategies to integrate term trading with preschedule and real-time trading consistent with and optimized to achieve short and long term goals. Directs and oversees sales and auctions of power contract sales, consistent with the District’s Power Risk Management policy.
4. EF 20% Leads and directs the development and implementation of risk modeling for the front office in assessing market risks. Responsible for overseeing the development of models to assess and price the risks inherent in the transactions of marketers and traders. Responsible for managing the identification, analyses and desegregation of deals into the appropriate risk instruments and components.
5. EF 5% Leads and directs analysts in the development of models and quantitative studies of historical and forecasted prices, loads, costs and stream flows (volume) associated with energy products for the existing and planned energy portfolio.
6. EF 5% Develops and maintains industry contacts and relationships. Position is required to travel occasionally.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS: In addition to a competitive salary range of $134,470 - $192,100 (based on qualifications, skills and abilities), Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year.
ABOUT US: Chelan County PUD is located in the geographical center of Washington State at the confluence of the Columbia and Wenatchee rivers. A public power leader, the complex and progressive nature of PUD operations offer a unique mix of challenges and opportunities.
We rely on the mighty Columbia River for much of our hydropower generation and we're proud to take a leadership role in environmental stewardship as related to this great river system. Each year we dedicate millions of dollars and thousands of work hours to protect and enhance fish, wildlife and plant ecosystems. As part of hydropower operations, we've also built 14 parks that serve more than 3 million visitors each year.
Rated by Sunset Magazine as one of the top 20 Western DREAM TOWNS and by Forbes in 2017 as one of the top 25 places to retire, Wenatchee is a recreational paradise with an abundance of adventure. The natural scenic beauty of the Wenatchee Valley provides a vivid backdrop to its thriving economy, where the quality of life is high and the climate is moderate with four distinct seasons, including more than 200 days of sunshine!
Chelan PUD is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity at all levels of its workforce. M/F/Vet/Disabled
QUALIFICATIONS: The qualifications listed below are representative of those required, but reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Post-Secondary Education: Bachelor's degree (B. S., B. A.) from four-year college or university in a relevant field such as finance, engineering or business; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Advanced degree in quantitative analyses, mathematics, engineering or law is desired.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years combined experience in power trading, marketing & origination. Experience should include examples of deal negotiation, deal structuring and developing contracts and risk mitigation strategies. Requires progressively responsible experience performing and leading power trading, marketing or quantitative analysis activities. Requires experience presenting and communicating hedging strategies and/or complex subjects to senior management and/or elected officials. Previous supervisory experience required.
Computers & Equipment: A fully skilled incumbent will have the ability to utilize the following software, hardware, or equipment: basic knowledge of Microsoft Access, Outlook, PowerPoint, PeopleSoft HRIS, Data & Transaction Management (OATI, WIT, OASIS, Hydro DB, PI), Hydro System & Other Modeling (e.g. PSOM/SOM, RiverWare, CHEOPS, I937, IRP) and general office equipment; and intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word.
Background Screening: Chelan County Public Utility District #1 conducts background screening of senior management personnel and personnel who have substantial authority over Finance, Energy Trading, Procurement, Internal Audit, Information Technology or Compliance activities. This position requires a background screening for Substantial Authority.
Additional Salary Information: In addition to a competitive salary range of $134,470 - $192,100 (based on qualifications, skills and abilities), Chelan PUD employees also enjoy outstanding benefits which include the option of a zero cost medical plan (medical, dental and vision for all eligible dependents), short and long-term disability, Washington State Public Employee's Retirement System, Deferred Compensation (with company matching funds up to 5%), 11 holidays and initial personal leave accrual at 21 days per year.