NICTD owns, operates and maintains a high-speed main line railroad between Chicago, Illinois, and South Bend, Indiana. This opportunity as an Assistant Engineer – Track & Structures is an entry-level full-time management position within the South Shore Line’s Engineering Department. The Assistant Engineer – Track & Structures will work closely with the Senior Engineer – Track & Structures and the Manager – Maintenance of Way to plan, supervise, and implement programs and work assignments that keep the District’s right of way and structures in a safe and delay-free condition to reliably support high-speed passenger rail and heavy-haul freight railroad services. The successful candidate must enjoy the challenge of teamwork, planning, responding to unanticipated changes, outdoor work, irregular work hours, and working with unionized work forces.
Duties: The Assistant Engineer – Track & Structures’ duties include, but are not limited to, assisting Senior Engineer – Track & Structures with the following tasks:
- Maintenance Program Development & Administration. Develop maintenance programs to ensure safe and reliable track infrastructure in compliance with FRA and AREMA recommended practices. Ensure compliance of track and structures with federal track and bridge safety standards. Works with others to develop construction program schedules.
- Construction Management. Review engineering contract plans, specifications, reports and related documents for one hundred miles of Class IV track, bridges, grade crossings, culverts, commuter station buildings, and maintenance shops. Reviews and evaluates the work of design consultants, construction and maintenance contractors.
- General Management. Supervise Roadmasters or other work groups with in conjunction with and direction from the Manager MOW, Administer Inspections, Address Claims & Grievance Handling, Capital Improvement Planning, Interview & Hire Employees, and Quality Assurance. Coordination with utilities, regulatory authorities, and municipalities.
- Purchasing & Asset Management. Assist in records maintenance for track parts, structural parts, and vehicle categories. Works with Purchasing Department to ensure that adequate supplies are on hand to perform projects and periodic maintenance.
- Hearing officer and first level of response to grievances.
- Assists Safety & Rules Department with the coordination and completion of training programs for employees assigned to the department.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
(1) Applicants must meet at leastone of the following four education/experience options:
(a) a bachelor or higher degree as of July 2021 in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, building construction technology; or closely related major; or
(b) an associate or higher degree as of July 2021 in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, or building construction technology and three (3) or more years of railroad track or commercial structure construction, maintenance, and related supervision; or
(c) five (5) or more years of railroad track or general industrial construction and maintenance with at least five (5) years of related supervisory experience; or
(d) a combination of two (2) or more years of college education in civil engineering, civil engineering technology, or building construction technology without a degree and three (3) or more years of railroad track or general industrial construction, maintenance, and related supervision.
IMPORTANT NOTE: You must fulfill at least one of the above four mandatory options to be considered. Applicants who do not meet at least one of the above mandatory options will not be considered. Receipt of resume from non-qualifying applicants will not be acknowledged.
(2) Proficiency in knowledge and application of Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office Suite (including Word & Excel programs).
(3) Willingness to learn, accepting of work under occasionally highly stressful or uncertain conditions, excellent verbal and written communication skills, valid driver’s license, and no recent drug, alcohol, or felony convictions.
(4) Must be in good physical health to fulfill the essential functions of the position, with or without reasonable accommodations. This is an outdoor position. The Assistant Engineer – track & Structures frequently must be able to work and walk in difficult environmental conditions or to locations not accessible by motor vehicle. Work is performed on significantly uneven surfaces, in close proximity to high voltage electrical power, and may require work on snow or ice covered ground during winter. Levels of activity vary from moderate to intense. Stressful situations may occur. Exposure to heat, humidity, cold, rain, sleet, snow, and wind is common.
(5) Must read, write, and communicate clearly and fluently so as to understand and follow the General Code of Operating Rules, federal and state regulations; essential operational and safety information, and pass periodic rule/safety/technical examinations.
(6) Flexible about unexpected changes in work assignments or priorities.
(7) Reliable transportation to and from Michigan City, Indiana. Ability to start and end daily assignments at any point between South Bend, Indiana, and Chicago, Illinois, with most assignments and duties originating at Michigan City, Indiana.
Additional Salary Information: Full complement of benefits. See position description under "Job Opportunities" at www.mysouthshoreline.com for details.
About South Shore Line (NICTD)
The Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District (NICTD) owns and operates the South Shore Line -- an innovative high speed commuter rail passenger railroad that serves Chicago, Illinois, South Bend, Indiana, and intermediate points within Northwest Indiana. NICTD is an equal opportunity employer.